Maintenance engineers look after and fix engineered systems inside and outside buildings. The exact job depends on the employer, though all engineers have the skills and knowledge to get the job done properly and safely.
A maintenance engineer will need to be able to:
- work at height
- work alone or with little supervision
- build relationships
- carry out planned maintenance on engineered systems
- use engineering drawings and documents during maintenance
- maintain mechanical and electrical equipment
- maintain workplace environmental control systems, heating and ventilation systems, gas distribution systems and other equipment
- choose materials and equipment
- diagnose and fix faults
- write reports.